You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘anvil’ tag.

Iron block on which metals are hammered into shapes. Old English “onfilti” < Old High German “anafalz” < “an”=on + *”filt”=to weld.

Using the site

Use the Search box below to look for a specific word. Use the A-Z tab to browse pages of words.
Follow Tweetionary: An Etymology Dictionary on